To Claim or Not to Claim? As well as other thoughts from this week...
Well 12:00 p.m of November 1st came by which was the deadline for any team to claim Trevor Gillies or Sean Avery... Sean Avery? Who is he? Oh right he is that guy who tried fighting Travis Hamonic last year and turned around to Michael Haley’s fist cracking him at least five times in the season finale of the Islanders onslaught of the Rangers last season. The same Sean Avery who had some not some kind things to say to Islanders general manager Garth Snow. Well according to a few sources, as well as some crazy fans, the Islanders were going to claim Avery. Why??? Do not get me wrong; when Avery plays his game, he is one of the best agitators in the sport of hockey. But realistically, with all his publicity stunts and enemies created on this Islander team, does anyone see a sense in picking this guy up? If the Rangers think that calling up Avery is going to big such a difference, well only time will tell. Another reason to like Garth not picking him up is that his attitude problems are not needed in a locker room full of youth. Veterans such as Jay Pandolfo, Marty Reasoner amongst others will help support this team and provide their valuable playing experiences. Well the time has passed and luckily Garth did not bite on Avery.
- According to the Islanders twitter feed, Nino Niederreiter will be down with Bridgeport on a conditioning stint for a maximum of two weeks
- My opinion: GREAT idea! Get him back into game shape around a youthful bunch that Bridgeport has and then he should be ready by around the 11/15 Ranger game barring a setback.
- A lot of people have been asking about the third jersey: I can confidently say that this will be the next third jersey of the New York Islanders released later this month.
- My opinion: It’s different, and I can say I like it. Although the black is somewhat questionable with the Islanders color schemes, it will be nice to see something unique.
- Lastly a big issue this off-season and even during the current season is the realignment of the whole NHL for the 2012-13 season with Winnipeg getting a hockey team back. Of course nothing is set in stone, but according to CBC Sports, this is what the proposed divisions would look like. Although the Islanders get to keep four of their divisional rivals in this new look realignment plan, they lose a big one in the Penguins who are rumored to not be happy about this plan... Go figure..
- My opinion: I am not 100% sure how the amount of games would break down but from the look of it, I like it! Although I was not alive to see it, I would love to see divisional playoffs. Look for more of division realignment talk to heat up really soon...