On a nite that was the celebration of the 1992-93 team in front of a crowd of just under 12,000 the Islanders played their tails off from start to finish.
My Plus/Minus of the game:
- (-) Bad start after a cross check on Logan Couture by Steve Staios led to a PPG 1-0 sharks lead.
- (+)Despite giving up early goal, Ricky played strong tonight in goal for his first game back.
- (+)The play of the first line still continues to impress with JT getting a goal on PP from his linemates Matt Moulson and P.A. Parenteau
- (+) Isles offense for all four lines were rolling with Isles outshooting the Sharks 37-30 for the game.
- (+)Beauty in the 2nd goal for the Isles on crisp tape to tape passes leading to Islanders lead at 2-1
- (-) Bad bounce for Mark Streit led to a Logan Couture goal after a screen on DP by Staios to tie the game at 2.
- (+)Isles earned a point.
- (-)Horrible call by officiating: Travis Hamonic chipped the puck of out the zone off the glass..The referee overturned the call, gave Hamonic a penalty for delay of game which led to Brett Burns overtime goal on a 4 on 3 powerplay for San Jose.
- Doug Weight was absolutely furious from the bench, something you rarely see from the high class player turned coach.
As Chris Botta stated on Twitter after the game: "That's as horrific a piece of officiating by 4 men as you will find at any level of hockey."
Whether the Islanders would've won the game, we will never know but that was a putrid call and the NHL officials up in Toronto ruled it a mistake that a penalty was given to Hamonic costing the game for the Islanders.
On a positive note, Capuano stated in his press conference that: "This was one of the best game that his team has played all season". Totally agreed with this statement, DP played solid despite being out of position for first goal, San Jose was riding a 4 game winning streak. If they play more games like this, they will be competing for a playoff spot because the effort was there. It is a shame that the referee had to literally blow the game for the harder working team.