Friday, September 18, 2026

Projections: Goalies

Earlier this week, the defense was my topic of discussion, today, to finish off projections for this years Islanders team I will discuss the goalies.

1) Ilya Sorokin

31 wins

20 loses

5 OTL

2.50 GAA 

.915 save percentage

The most important player on the Islanders coincidentally will be the guy I think benefits most from Peter DeBoer now being Islanders coach.  Sorokin was the main engine on the back of the Islanders last season as they spent the majority of the season firmly in a playoff spot.  However, an over reliance on Sorokin and the absence of structure in the defensive zone proved to be too much for Sorokin to bear as he kinda fell off toward the end of the season along with the rest of the team.  With DeBoer in there now, structure will no longer be an issue as that is one of the cornerstones of DeBoers coaching much in the way it was with Barry Trotz.  With that being said, I think Sorokin could have one of his better statistical seasons that he has had in the last few.  If this occurs, it will go a long way toward the Islanders making a return to the Playoffs.

2) Semyon Varlamov

1 win 

2 loses

2 OTL

2.85 GAA

.895 save percentage

The fact that we are speaking about Semyon Valarmov as a legitimate back up option in net for the Islanders is just astounding to me.  After going through not one but two knee replacement surgeries, Varly managed to make it back to play a couple games for Bridgeport at the end of last season.  To his credit, he didn't only make it back but performed very well for Bridgeport as well which put him back on the radar for the NHL team heading into this season.  Unfortunately, coming in with the expectations that he will be able to play 25 plus games for us I don't feel is fair to him but I am rooting very hard for him.  If he manages to suit up even once for us I feel like that should instantly put him in comeback player of the year running.

3) Vitek Vanecek 

8 wins

10 loses

5 OTL

2.80 GAA

.894 save percentage

With my expectations low for Varly, that means Vanecek will have a sizeable role for the Islanders this season.  To say I don't feel great about that is an understatement because it has been a struggle for Vanecek for a few years now, but he is an NHL caliber goalie back there at least.  I hope I am wrong and Vanecek spends a majority of the season in Hamilton because Varlamov is healthy but we will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment