Monday, December 31, 2012

CBA: Bettman Says Deal Needed By the 11th

According to multiple reports, following todays meetings with the NHLPA Gary Bettman confirmed that an agreement on a new CBA needs to happen by January 11th to salvage the season.  An agreement by then would result in either a 48 or 52 game season. 

The parties are expected to continue negotiating tomorrow after the NHLPA made a counter offer to the leagues most recent offer today in NYC.

Happy Holidays/Happy New Year

We here at savetheisles just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all for your amazing support this year, and want to wish you all happy holidays and a happy and healthy new year.

 image courtesy of
 image courtesy of
image courtesy of

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sound Tiger Notes

According to the Sound Tigers official twitter, rookie center Brock Nelson will be out 2-3 more weeks suffering from a fractured jaw he sustained after taking a puck to the face during the game on December 14th.

Additionally, the AHL announced that Sound Tigers enforcer Brett Gallant would be suspended 3 games for leaving the bench on a legal line change intending to start an altercation on 12/27 vs the Whale.  Gallant fought defenseman Dylan Mcilrath who had elbowed teammate Marc Cantin earlier in the game.  Mcilrath was suspended 2 games for the hit.  A video of the incident can be found below: (:22 for for the hit with the fight right after)

Friday, December 28, 2012

Bridgeport Sweeps Home & Home From Whale

Coming off the holiday break, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers swept a home and home from the rival CT Whale.

Last night, the Tigers defeated the Whale by a score of 5-2.  The Tigers got on the board early with two first period goals from forward Nino Niederriter who brought his point total to 29 on the season placing him at 7th place in the AHL coming into tonight.  After his hot start though, Nino got clipped by a high stick in the second period and didn't return to the game.  David Ullstrom also contributed 4 assists to the winning effort. 

After their win last night, the Tigers looked to continue their momentum and did just that with their 3-0 shutout win over the CT Whale in Hartford tonight.  It was only the Tigers third shutout in Hartford in franchise history. (3/19/04 & 2/18/09, h/t to Bridgeport writer Mike Fornabaio)  The Tigers got started early once again tonight with two more goals in the first period by Chad Costello (a PTO) and defenseman Matt Donavan.  Forward John Persson netted his tenth goal of the season in the second period on a beautiful tic tac toe play to give the Tigers a 3-0 lead.  This would be all that Kevin Poulin needed as he shut the Whale out all night on the way to the shutout.

The Tigers return to action Saturday @ Home against the Manchester Monarchs (Last Home Game of 2012)

Bridgeport Injury Updates

According to Newsdays Arthur Staple, Bridgeport defenseman Travis Hamonic is out with a concussion.  No word on a timeline or anything but he has already missed 11 games.

The lack of Hamonics presence on the blueline has been far to evident in recent games with multiple defensive breakdowns including blown coverage.  The less then stellar play of the defense has made it tough for goalies Anders Nilsson and Kevin Poulin who have been forced to face a lot of shots.  Most recently tonight, Poulin had a 36 save shutout against the Whale in Hartford.;JSESSIONID=F9A5F5B04065AC8F2CB2.3266?site=newsday&view=islanders_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=islanders&feed:i=1.4368331&nopaging=1

Forward Kirill Kabanov, who was cut by a skate in just the fourth game of the season said that he is hoping to return in early February.  His return would provide the Tigers with a nice boost because of the great skill he brings.  Additionally, Kabanov won the Memorial Cup in juniors last year and that experience would be very valuable for a young team like the Tigers coming down the stretch.

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sound Tigers Honoring Sandy Hook Victims

After the events of December 14th in Newtown Connecticut, the Sound Tigers have announced a few things they will be doing in memory of those who passed away far to soon.

For the rest of the season the Sound Tigers will have a green ribbon on their jersey as well as a stamp on the back of their helmets.  On top of that, on the ice a message in memory will be posted for the rest of the season.  Also, for the next few weeks, on the back of black Sound Tiger player jerseys you wont find their names but names of the people who were killed.  January 20th is the last game the team will wear those jerseys and after that the jerseys will be given to each victims family.

They will also be holding an auction from January 7th through January 20th with all the proceeds going to help those who were effected.  Lastly, residents of Newtown were able to get into tonights game, this Wednesday against the rival Whale and next Saturdays game free of charge.

Friday, December 21, 2012

CBA: NHL Cancels Games Through 1/14/13

Earlier this afternoon, the NHL announced that regular season games through January 14th, 2013 will be cancelled as the NHL & the NHLPA continue to struggle to agree to a new collective bargaining agreement.

With these cancellations the NHL has canceled 625 regular season games as part of the lockout.  Some analysts have speculated after this announcement that the next cancellation announced will be the remainder of the season.

 image taken from

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Lockout Hurting "Hub" Area Business

According to an article in Newsday, local business owners around the Coliseum say that the current NHL lockout is costing them dearly. 

The general manager of the Marriot located next door to the Coliseum says that the lockout is costing the hotel over $100,000 every month.  Given the regularity at which Islanders fans can be found in that place, a large number in losses like that isn't surprising.

This article also includes quotes from Nassau County Comptroller George Maragos, and displays how the comptroller has totally blown off the subject citing that the Coliseum was able to draw just fine during the 04/05 lockout.  With new venues having opened since then and the departure of the team coming in 2015 (if not sooner) Mr. Maragos has failed to realize that circumstances are quite different now then they were back then, and his approach to this subject is very short sided.

For more on this including more quotes from local business owners check out the link below:

Friday, December 14, 2012

Charity Hockey Game At MSG For Sandy Victims

Update: According to reports, this game has been postponed.  Original tickets should be kept as they will be accepted for admission on the new date.

After the success of the 12/12/12 concert at MSG, they are doing another fundraiser for victims of Hurricane Sandy.  All proceeds from the game will benefit the Red Cross and the Stan Lee Foundation.

On December 22nd, alumni from the Islanders and Rangers, as well as members from the NYPD and FDNY will be working together to put on a charity hockey game.  Some of the alumni participating include Ron Duguay and Rod Gilbert from the Rangers.  From the Islanders, Eric Cairns and Pat Flatley will be among the alumni participating.

With the lockout in full effect this is a great way for NHL fans to get their hockey fix and support a worthy cause while doing so.

Tickets start at $25 and increase from there.

Isles Prospects Selected to Team Canada WJC Team

Earlier tonight, the rosters for the World Junior Championships later this month in Russia were announced.

Islanders fans will find some familiar names on the list for team Canada.  Griffin Reinhart & Ryan Strome were both selected to the team.

Strome in particular is having a big year in the OHL this season having scored 62 points in 32 games to start off this season.  He was also named the OHL's player of the month in November scoring 35 points in just 13 games. 

With the NHL still locked out with no end in sight, this should give Islander fans at least some break from that drama.

You can view the complete roster below:

CBA: President Obama Urges NHL & NHLPA To "Do Right By Your Fans"

In a recent interview for WCCO-TV in Minneapolis, President Barack Obama urged the NHL & NHLPA to "do right by your fans" and end the lockout.  The President went on, that hes President of the United States and shouldn't have involve himself in a sports lockout.  For more from the President check the link below:

The President is right, but he forgot one thing.  The NHL/NHLPA don't care about the fans!  They just use the fans as pawns to put pressure on one another.

Monday, December 10, 2012

CBA: NHL Cancels Through 12/30

Earlier today, still mired in CBA negotiations the NHL announced that all regular season games through December 30th will be canceled.  Speculation is that the next round of cancellations will be the rest of the season.  The parties are said to be planning to meet again sometime this week to continue negotiations but nothing is set in stone yet.

With these cancellations the "just drop it" fan protest will now happen.  If you haven't seen the video yet, the idea is for every game after December 21st that the NHL cancels, fans don't go to any games for the same amount of time, or watch games on TV, or buy any NHL merchandise.  To learn more on the protest you can find a link to a youtube video explaining everything below:

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Patrick Kane Apologizes for the Lockout

For the duration of the lockout thus far, Blackhawks star winger Patrick Kane has been playing in Switzerland with Bruins forward Tyler Seguin.  Before things went to hell in the CBA negotiations the other day, Patrick was interviewed on the lockout.  You can find the interview below:

At around the :55 second mark of the video Kane issues his apology.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

What about the Fans?

For the last few months in the hockey world, all we've heard is talk of HRR (Hockey Related Revenue), make hole, contract length and things like that.  Nobody has really talked about the impact on the fans though.

The fans who in some cases are going through the 3rd work stoppage of their favorite sport in the last 18 years.  The fans who given that grew the NHL revenues last year to record numbers over 3 billion dollars.  The fact that some fans have stuck around through that is truly a tribute to the incredible loyalty of a die hard hockey fan.

The only context fans are being mentioned in as of late are as a negotiating tool of sorts where the players/owners try to win them over and get them on their side.  I'm not sure if the powers at be realize this, but fans are growing tired of the childish bickering between the parties, most recently league officials referring to Donald Fehr as a "suicide bomber" just miles from ground zero.  Behavior like that only turns fans away at a quicker rate which as a real niche sport is something the NHL can't afford to have happen.  The fans don't care about how revenue is split and other stuff like that, they just want to see the game they love return to action.

Its about time the NHL/NHLPA treat the fans like the respected paying customers that they are, and not a pawn in a pointless chess match that has no end in site.

CBA: Many Steps Back Tonight

The abundant optimism that was present last night with regard to NHL CBA negotiations has quickly dissipated tonight. 

After about an hour long meeting earlier this evening between the NHL & NHLPA, NHLPA director Don Fehr took to the podium to give the media an update on where things currently stand and the NHLPAs latest proposal to the NHL.  Throughout the news conference Fehr seemed really up beat, optimistic, and confident that something could get done.  After about 15 minutes the press conference broke and twitter was abuzz with more optimism, that would quickly disappear though.

Not long after ending the press conference, Don Fehr returned to the stage with news that they had heard from the NHL via voicemail on their latest proposal.  Fehr said that the NHL said the players latest offer was "unacceptable" and that either something or everything is off the table.  Noted hockey analyst Bob McKenzie of TSN called the league rejection catastrophic. 

With no plans to meet in the near future and another round of game cancellations on the horizon, it seems as though things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

CBA: Progress, Finally?

Update 2: Reports suggest that Gary Bettman wants to have a deal done by Friday.  If that happens, speculation is that the season could start on December 20th with training camp starting next Friday.

Update: Greg Wyshynski from puckdaddy just tweeted that he is hearing next Friday as a possible start for training camp if a deal can be agreed to this week.

According to sportsnet's Nick Kypreos, (@RealyKyper) some coaches are calling players informing them to be ready for an imminent return to action.  This is coming after last day or so where there has been much optimism regarding the CBA that hasn't existed in a while.

With all the optimism though, no proposals at least publicly have traded hands between the NHL & NHLPA.  This has some wondering if progress is finally truly being made.  Maybe we will be able to have a season afterall?

Well update as we no more